P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Just bought a 2105 ultra classic, brought to dealer 1000

Customer Question

just bought a 2105 ultra classic, brought to dealer for first 1000 mile service at 1200 miles, they also did the stage 1, plus V&H slipons, and also SERT and dyno tuned. Put about 100 miles on bike and noticed an oil smell. Checked filter area thought maybe oil had dripped there,but it was clean. checked oil level it was 18 oz over full @#$%. Drained excess oil got it to normal level, called dealer next day Friday said bring bike in on monday. Road over weekend still had oil smell. Sunday evening oil leaking between primary and motor@#$%. Brought to dealer they took primary off and its a bad tranny, getting a new one from HD. What kind of damage could be done to the motor because of overfill, is there a potential for long term problems, what should i be aware of. Service Mgr says no issue the motor will push it out the breathers? I think the tranny is a separate issue, or is it? Also since service the motor goes into limp mode before I can back into a parking spot. I consider this dealer top notch over the years, they did offer me a bike to use.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Wow, what a crazy series of unfortunate events. At least the dealer seems to be taking care of it as good as they can.

There really isn't any mechanical engine damage that would result from an overfilled reservoir, especially with only a 1/2 quart over. It will push some out, as the dealer explained, but problems would be limited to possible contamination of sensors in the intake causing some issues with air/fuel mix. They don't tolerate excess oil very well.

I agree that the transmission issue is a separate one. I haven't seen it a lot but I have seen that leak on 6 or 7 bikes since they went to the internal oil passages and gasket between the transmission and engine. I suppose there are some casting/machining issues that occasionally occur on those mating surfaces that the gasket just can't make up for.

The limp mode issue is an odd one. Is there an actual trouble code that is telling you limp mode is or has been active? I ask because it is possible that you are unknowingly activating the idle temperature management by rotating the throttle grip forward. If this mode is activated and the engine temperature sensor has met the temperature requirement it will cause the rear cylinder temperature to shut down which lowers the idle and sounds odd. This is a total guess but I can't imagine anything oil related causing that issue.

It may also be a coincidental problem that exists somewhere in the throttle system as well. The dealer should be able to easily diagnose that issue fairly quickly with their Digital Technician computer system. They can test operate all the fuel related systems to verify they are working correctly.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome!