Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

The power steering shut down on my 2011 can am outlander 500

Customer Question

the power steering shut down on my 2011 can am outlander 500 xt. i took it to a can am dealer friday and they reset it. i rode the machine to day for three miles and it shut down again . it only has 48 miles on it. do i have to take it 100 miles to a dealer every time it shuts down.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Most likely this is a fault with a steering sensor that is sending an incorrect signal intermittently causing a fault to set in turn putting the steering into a fail safe mode.What they needed to do was to read out the codes set and diagnose those codes to locate and repair the fault here.If you cannot make it back to the dealer to have this done I would see if a repair facility in your area can do this for you as there should be at least one code set needing diagnosed to locate and repair this here.I suspect a sensor or solenoid fault needing replaced for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The can am dealer said the fault detected was an over currant and it shut the system down. I was going about nine miles ph on flat ground.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If there is a voltage surge due to the charging system or a short in the battery cables this can cause an over current issue.The charging system and battery need checked/tested as well as the cables for any issues to locate and resolve this fault here.Over voltage or current will disable some electronics to prevent any damage to them.

Thanks Pete