P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

My question is about the Delphi ion sensing ignition. I had

Customer Question

My question is about the Delphi ion sensing ignition. I had screamin eagle plugs in my bike and I got a lot of pinging. I just switched to the stock plugs and it's gotten better. Does the Delphi system recognized that the plugs are correct and it works again or do I need to reset the ecu.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The ECM does not need to be reset. It uses a programmed set of parameters based on the signal sent to it to alter timing as necessary. It does not care which plug is installed.

The ion sensing circuit is built into the coil but there are theories that suggest that iridium plugs can alter that signal and cause the ion sensing technology to malfunction. Standard plugs are best.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.