yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal
30179223

08 roadliner is backfiring upon deceleration. stumbles and

Customer Question

08 roadliner is backfiring upon deceleration. stumbles and surges on acceleration. road about 160 mile this morning before it started happening. ran beautifully until then. freedom 2into 1. gassed up about 20 miles prior to the start of the issue at a no name gas station 3.1 gallons of 91 octane
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  yamsuzpolaris replied 1 year ago.

does bike have a fuel management system on it? I have run across a bike or two that had performance exhausts put on them and seemed to run ok, then awhile later they just began to run like crap, mostly like you are describing. if you don't have a fuel management system such as cobra or power commander, get one put on.

Mark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not. It won't even idle at this point.

hoping that gas is not so bad as to plug injectors. Also is there ANY possibility you put diesel or kerosene in it by mistake? if that did happen then injectors are plugged for sure. best to remove tank, remove plugs, check for spark first. if you got spark on all plugs then its a fuel issue, and the first thing then is to dump it all, blow clear all the lines, and even remove the injectors and blow thu them. then to test for proper function we hook all fuel lines up, fill with good gas, but have fuel injectors removed and hold them several inches away from a sheet of paper. turn key on for just a second or 2 and you should see round spray pattern on the paper. by very careful, have someone ready to turn off ignition instantly if anything goes wrong. also never near any heat or flame. I did see a customer mistake put diesel fuel in his bike and this is what we had to do to make sure injectors were cleaned, and we flushed tank and lines 2 times to get it all out.

Mark