yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal
30179223

My sportsman 500 won't start, even click, nothing. I

Customer Question

my sportsman 500 won't start, even click, nothing. I replaced battery and starter motor, still nothing. Need new solenoid? other suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  yamsuzpolaris replied 1 year ago.

first thing I need to know the year. second thing is when key is turned on does the gauge light up display? when key is on do headlights and brake lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1997. No lights work. I've never really had dash lights work on this old of a model. My headlights used to work before this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Th atv was dying going downhill, and I thought my son had burned out th starter motor by constantly restarting it. Since then it won't start or even click when trying to start it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw, I jumped th selenoid by touched both posts with a stew driver and it activated th starter motor, so it seems th selenoid is good.

you will need either a voltmeter or a test light to check the following. 12v for the electrical system taps off where the heavy pos battery wire goes to the starter solenoid. from there red wire goes into a black plastic puffed type thing which has a thermo breaker inside it. you should have 12v on each side of this both going in and coming out on the red wire. from there voltage goes to the ignition switch and comes out on the red/blk wire. test for voltage going in on the red at the key switch and then come out on the red/blk wire. if voltage on red/blk wire then the key switch is good. if not, then ignition switch has failed. red/blk wire carries voltage to the left handlebar kill switch. when switch is on the you will have 12 volt on the red/white wire. this is the power supply to all components. for another test you can use a length of jumper wire and connect from battery pos post directly to the red/white wire terminal connections and everything should function as you have bypassed the thermo-breaker ignition switch and kill switch effectively hot wiring the vehicle. and if you turned the key switch either on, or disconnect the wire plugs from the ignition switch then the vehicle should also start and run, but wont be able to turn it off. this is a relatively easy system on these old machines and hopefully you'll find 1 of the first mentioned components has failed. we have in past found things like ignition switch corroded inside and this shuts everything down.

Mark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thx, I'll try these steps

the ignition switch has 4 wires and it does 2 things at the same time. when turned on it connects the red wire terminal with the red/black terminal which allows power to now flow thru onto other components. at the same time it opens the circuit between the other 2 terminals which allows the engine to start. when the key is turned to off position it connects these other 2 terminals which grounds out the ignition sparking part of the vehicle. in effect you can use a paper clip to replace the ignition switch function for testing purposes.

Mark