RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Need help can you adjust the clutch on a automatic!

Customer Question

hello need help can you adjust the clutch on a automatic! installed a new clutch and the bike jumps when put in gear!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can get this info may not be online.One place you might check is a dealer or repair center as sometimes they can get this info for you.If this is not an option for you on this or was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fourwheeler is a suzuki vinson 500 I believe the model is Ltf 500 its a full automatic I installed a new clutch and the bike jump when put into gear i checked all over and it doesn't seem to have a clutch adjustment cap like the manual units have
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'll post the clutch adjusment steps below. Let me know how things go

1. Pull of the cover on the right hand side, that's held on by 2 phillips screws.
2. Loosen both nuts, ones a 10mm the other is 14mm
3. Turn the screw with the 14mm nut with a flat head screwdriver counter clockwise till it stops.
4. Now tighten the 10mm nut.
5. Now turn the screw clockwise 1/4 of a turn.
6. Hold the screw and tighten the 14mm nut.

Start the vehicle, shift it into first but hold the shifter up with your foot and rev the engine.
It shouldn't move at all.
Then when you put it in gear it should work as normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the full automatic suzuki vinson it has no adjusting cap.

My apologies I thought it was the semi auto system. Let me opt out so others may reply while I look for my manual on those. Myself or someone else should be with you shortly.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The first reaction that comes to mind when I hear the symptom you are experiencing is the idle is set too high on the ATV.

If you have an inductive tach, which I know is not usually a tool most riders possess, but if you do, check your idle RPMs.

You want it to idle right around 1000 rpms.

If you don't have a tach in your tool box, turn the idle down and observe the results that has on the symptom you are experiencing.

There is no adjustment for the engagement on a CVT style clutch. If it is not functioning properly and the idle is correct, than either a component has worn out or has failed (broken) and needs to be replaced. In either case, it is going to require removing the 2 sheaves from the ATV and inspecting them for wear/damage. Taking the front sheave apart also requires a special tool. If it comes down to that, your best bet is to take it to a dealer to have them take the sheave apart for you, you do your inspection and determine what needs to be replaced, then have them reassemble it for you. I am confident the cost of the tool would far exceed any savings you would realize buying the tool yourself and doing your own work on that component.

Another point to inspect is the faces of the sheaves themselves. They should be perfectly smooth and free of and grooves. Grooves come from wear caused by the belt slipping, usually from getting wet. If you have grooves in the faces of the sheaves, they will need to be replaced as well to get rid of the jumping when put in gear.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks

RSRBOB