P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Anders from Sweden here. I'm about to pick up an used Ultima

Customer Question

Hello,Anders from Sweden here .
I'm about to pick up an used Ultima engine 107" from Denmark and - Have some questions about qualety from different years. I have heard there was some problems with the early year engines, is it so ?
How can you see on a Ultima 107" engine motor number wich year it is made ?
Is there any numbers that is to prefer more than athers ?
Is there anything special to look for, you can come to think of ?
I have taken of the heads and sylinders and the engine botom feels ok and also the valves looks ok.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I've been working on them and building bikes around them for a bunch of years and I've never had one that had a problem that was caused by anything other than an oil cooler that was added on. And even that one was still in good shape internally and the customer support they provided me for the parts identification was great. They are great engines.

You've checked most of the major stuff. If you have questions about it I'd suggest pulling the cam cover (right side) and just taking a look for any type of debris resting down in the bottom of the sump. If it is clean then I'd say you've got a good engine that you won't need to worry about.

On their website they show the engine codes for engines beginning with 2012 model that were actually put together at the factory. I'm not sure about the number for engines older than that, because they don't have that information readily available, but if you need information I can probably email my representative and see if he can identify what you have. The engines that were sold as kits and assembled by someone other than the factory could be of a little more of an issue as you never know the skill level of the assembler.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.