TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I have a 2004 VTX 1300 and it no longer runs well. It starts

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 2004 VTX 1300 and it no longer runs well. It starts up...Although you could tell its not running smooth. I take it out and the warmer the bike gets the more it sputters and backfires. When stopped and then need to go in first gear, I have to over accelerate to keep the bike from stalling. This has happened all summer long but have not put a lot of miles because of it. Gone through several gas tank fills and have used a can and half of Seafoam in the gasoline in total. And still no good. I was thinking a carburetor disassembly and cleaning may be in order. I saw a youtube video on it and it looks pretty complicated. Do you think this is the problem? To be honest, I did not add any fuel stabilizer over last winter, but the bike only sat for 3 months.
Thanks in advance
Diego
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

The bike most likely needs a complete carb overhaul. Gasoline today is of such poor quality and contains so much alcohol that it can go bad and clog the small orifices inside the carb body in as little as two weeks.

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance simply add a reply. If not, please rate my answer so that Just Answer can credit me for assisting you.

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

Just Answer is holding your money in the form of a deposit. They do not pay me for assisting you until you leave a positive rating. If you do not rate my answer they keep all your money and I do not get paid for assisting you. It is essential that I receive a positive rating to get paid. After completing the rating you can always post a reply to this question if you need further assistance with this problem.