P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have 1999 SS Motor. I rarely ride the bike. I went to

Customer Question

I have 1999 SS Motor. I rarely ride the bike. I went to start her up and about a quart oil flowed from the OIL Breather and the plug in the oil reserve popped out . Whats Up
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

It is common for your style engine to do this. It is really nothing to worry about but it is annoying.

On your bike the oil tank is higher than the engine case sump. When sitting, gravity tends to pull the oil down past the oil pump check valve and into the case sump where it doesn't belong. When the bike is first started the oil pump forces the excess back toward the tank. The air in the tank is pressurized and pushed out the tank cap. Excess oil is fed through the breather passages and comes out the breather as case pressure is released.

The problem can be tricky to fix. The check valve, located in the oil pump, can be removed and cleaned and/or repaired and it may stop the oil flow when the bike is shut down.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TY Can I add back the @ amount of oil and ride the bike . Or should I have transported back to the dealer ???
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Start and run the bike for a while. This will get everything returned to the tank where it belongs. Once the system is "normalized" then you can check the oil and top it off if it needs to be. A small amount of oil on the ground looks like a lot but is rarely more than an ounce or two.

Don't make the mistake of adding oil until you've ran the engine for a bit.

You won't need to take it in unless you want to get them to check that check valve for you.

Thanks, P.J.