Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

1987 Honda 350 fourtrax...I am a fair mechanic but I need

Customer Question

1987 Honda 350 fourtrax...I am a fair mechanic but I need some expert advice, so I need someone who has much experience in what I am asking...If you have someone who can handle this job, I will pay, if not then we should not waste each others time.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your inquiry.

A professional technician works on hundreds of different units a year, many of which could very well be units such as yours. Without knowing the specifics of what problem or symptom you are experiencing, a technician has no way of knowing whether he has encountered and resolved that problem previously.

To be able to serve you better, please state the conditions, problem or symptoms you are experiencing. To avoid wasting your time in suggesting tests you have already tried, please state any tests or things that you have tried.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1987 honda 350 fourtrax...engine is rebuilt, carburetor is rebuilt. It starts and runs perfect, until I put it into gear, then it dies....I tried letting it warm up for several minutes and it helps, but after riding it for a couple of minutes it just dies....Brand new fuel pump from Honda....I dont know if the two problems I mentioned are related...If it warms up it shifts and goes...but maybe the stall when driving is electrical..altho, as soon as it stalls, it starts right up perfect, but dies when I put it into gear. Why does it die as soon as I put it into gear?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

The fan control relay unit is probably faulty. It is under the front left fender.
This relay controls your fan but it also shuts your engine down if the oil cooler fan doesn't work. Check if the fan can be powered on manually or try a new fan relay.
A sticky clutch could be another suspect. Check valve clearances are not too tight
and last resort is the CDI unit has problems.

----

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

Picture of fan relay:

http://www.2040-parts.com/_content/items/images/14/1173514/001.jpg

CONTROL UNIT, COOLING FAN (TATEISHI)
38710-HA7-671

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan relay was a pretty good answer but I have to order it etc...I still have to check the fan with 12 volts to see if it works also etc...
The CDI unit seems ok overall, but maybe I will buy a new one...Found one on EBAY for 75 bucks, but yikes, altho brand new, who knows....Maybe spend the extra on OEM if they have one. The fan relay or fan cannot be the problem with the engine going dead when I put it in gear, and I had professionals put the clutch in.....This is a major head scratcher. Please keep this chat open for a week or so until I find out more...thanks. Why the heck does the engine die when I put it into gear? nobody seems to know....ANd what is even stranger, is that it works fine sometimes but not other times...So it cant be the clutch circumferences. Get back to you next week with more info...I can throw another 25 bucks in off my credit card if I get good answers...thx...lemme get fan and fan relay done first then go from there.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

If the clutch is okay I suspect a relay or CDI unit malfunction.

The CDI could work intemittantly as you have described.

Sometimes the CDI can have cold solder joints that makes

contact at various temperatures. Might work okay and then

suddenly stop when ignition is put under load as in starting out

in gear. Must be ignition related to cause a stall.

Fan relay may or may not be tied into the ignition at some point.

I am thinking maybe CDI is more likely a problem.

-------