RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Do not run bike often but the other day I rode to the gas

Customer Question

do not run bike often but the other day I rode to the gas station and filled the tank shortly after the bike started to loose power when applying gas. Eventually it just cut out I have been told first bad gas, then clogged fuel filter then a vapor block. Help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

The first, which is not mean to be an insult but we see it in the shop more often than you would think, is check to make sure you didn't get diesel instead of gas when you filled up.

A quick whiff of the fuel in the tank should determine that.

Moving forward on the assumption that it is not diesel, it is entirely possible that you got bad gas that had water or debris in it. A quick way to check that is to drain the float bowl into a suitable cup (a cap off a spray can works well, even better if white in color) to see what comes out of it. Drain the bowl into the cup, then let it sit for about 5 minutes. Now with a flashlight, look at the gas in the cap, and look for what appears to be an air bubble rolling around on the bottom of the cup. If you see that, it is not actually air but water. You would need to drain the tank and start over with fresh gas.

If there is no sign of water but a lot of debris, you will need to pull the carb off and take it apart and clean it.

IF you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

RSRBOB