Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 and stop and go traffic

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 and stop and go traffic causes my bike to run very hot. Is there something to help my bike run cooler?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Is the cooling fan coming on when t runs hot like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does...Temperature rises as displayed by the temperature bars on the LCD almost completely to the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in South Texas where the air temperature in the summer and early fall can be 100+ degrees for 40 - 60 consecutive days. running in stop and go traffic is unavoidable but it drives the bike temps up, way up. Fan works and all but looking for way to keep the bike engine cooler. Thicker radiator for more capacity of coolant, or better radiator coolants, or wrapping exhaust pipes, better fans...Thoughts?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Two things I would do. Clean the radiator fins externally to make sure there is no dirt or debris in there blocking air flow. Then drain the radiator of fluid. If it looks dirty or to be sure, add a flush agent and run it for a bit, then drain it down again. If it looks clean or when you're flushed, then replace the fluid with Redline Water Wetter or Royal Purple Purple Ice. These are additives or coolant designed to transfer heat better than normal coolant. Lots of bike shops have been using it to lower temps on water cooled bikes with overheating issues at slow speed. That is the cheapest place to start before modding the cooling system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will start there... thank you...
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.