Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

How do you tighten a loose gear shift on a 2014 Triumph

Customer Question

How do you tighten a loose gear shift on a 2014 Triumph America
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please post back with a clear closeup picture of the gear shift lever.

Still, it would largely depend if the gear shift lever is directly bolted to the transmission/gear shift shaft. If yes, then the lever would have to be moved in to allow the bolt to pass cleanly between the spline and through the intended indentation. The gear shift shaft would look something like the image shown HERE.

On the otherhand, if it uses an extension rod / linkage, then the slack can be removed/adjusted first loosening the 2 locking nuts and turning the center rod as may be needed.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that I am just getting back to you. The problem is that the gear shifter has a little play moving left to right. The bolt on the outside is tight, but I don't know how or if I need to tighten the inside since it is covered and I am unable to get to it or at least don't know how. Anyway, the end result is there is a clank when I shift gears. The shift is smooth and does not slip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I have a photo but it is on my phone and I don't have a way to upload the photo since I don't have my cord with me. I will see if I can find one or figure out how to send you the ones I have as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it is a heel/toe gear shifter
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate your post back and would look forward to an update / posting of the pictures. This is the only way for me to see what you are seeing and thus have a common reference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you see this photo?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the image though perhaps, a closer/clearer picture of the shifter's center/pivot area? ...this is where the most likely cause for the "...play moving left to right..."