Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2008 BRP Outlander 800 XP. Great wheeler. But, the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 BRP Outlander 800 XP. Great wheeler. But, the battery will not hold a charge. Have replaced battery with USSA, then Bikemaster, and now another USSA battery all purchased from the local CanAm dealer.
Why will my battery start wheeler 4 times (ride for a couple hours) and then the battery is dead?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always indicate that the charging system is unable to replenish the battery.

Still, re-inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

And then proposed further checks (if have not been done) on the above possible charging issue; under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator faults. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.