Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Top of the day to you Mr./Miss: I picked up 2009 Buell 1125

Customer Question

Top of the day to you Mr./Miss : I picked up 2009 Buell 1125 in 2000. When I took the bike in for a service I also picked up an extended warranty from a Harley dealer. It wasn't to long after that I picked up a slip-on from e-bay. It wasn't to long after that I started having problems with the charging system. At first the bike would die leaving me stranded. When I got the bike home I hooked my battery tender up and went to bed. The next morning It was fully charged and ready to go. Were I worked was way out in the desert (I feel that this info is reverent to my confussion about the problem) with hardly any cars and only 4 times I seen a cop. Bike ran good and I got a lot of thumbs up from all my friends. When I would take the bike for a longer ride, I would come to find that the bike did NOT like that. It died and my wife drove out to to pick me up. When I got home the battery was dead. I took the battery back and got the best they head. To NO avail it didn't solve the problem. I checked the charging system....it looked good. No dead shorts, no plugs NOT connected. After a lot of hours trying to figure out the problem, I took the bike down to Riverside Harley Davidson ( where I got the warranty. They told that they had a list of bikes needing attention before mine. No big deal. After 5 or 6 weeks they "found" the problem. They told me that my warranty had a $500 deductible and with parts and labor I was looking @ a$1000 to $1300 that included with deductible. They also changed the battery.
Yeaaaa I got my "toy" back.....WRONG!!! I went back to my manual and looked at everything that could be the problem. for every test I did I included the RMS of the motor. My book says the charging system should be 3000RPM's to charge the battery. Well...I started thinking about what the problem could be. Then it hit me...with the aftermarket slip-on I installed, I would ride in town around 1500 to 2500 RPM's because of the pipe. My question: Do you think that a ride around town, in slow traffic sometimes and all the lights could cause the failure in the battery? Thank you letting me amuse you.....:) Jimi Brown.....
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

is the problem corrected or not?

do you have a problem, or are you questioning what the dealership did?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still having the problem with the charging of the battery. With the lower RPM's being so low, do you think the charging system is still charging the battery with the lower RPM's? As for the dealer, I felt they "skunked" me, but I'm really not sure what they did. Not sure if I mentioned it, I took it back to them and they charged me the deductible and the turnaround time would be 4 to 6 weeks. I got the bike back (AGAIN and took it for a 250 mile ride (mostly freeway...so the rpm's would be way above the 3'000 rpm requiered to charge the battery. From the freeway to my home was about 20 to 30 miles in slow traffic (again riding in lower rpm's because of the pipe....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ...I forgot to mention ....the problem is still there :(
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I an help you determine if there is an issue with your charging system.

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

- with the engine at about 2,000 rpm )fast idle).

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to order a battery and it won't be here until the 7th of October. Thank you Steve...
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

you won't know if you have issues or not without having a "known good, fully charged battery" in the bike.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve