Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 2014 maverick 1000 rs. I am having shifting

Customer Question

I have a 2014 maverick 1000 rs. I am having shifting problems. sometimes when you shift into reverses you are actually in low. Sometimes when you shift into high you are actually in low or maybe reverse. Rarely can I get it to fully engage in high gear and it will start making grinding noises at about 60mph. Any ideas
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

The shift linkage needs inspected for any damaged or bent components needing repaired.If this is all checked and found o.k. then the gearbox will need inspected internally in most cases to locate any mechanical components bent,damaged or broken causing this fault here.Any internal mechanical faults found will need repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete, I have inspected the linkage cable and it appears to be sound. I assumed that it must be in the gear box. I was hoping maybe an adjustment problem. I did notice that where the shift mechanism enters the gear box that it is a little sloppy, has about an 1/8" play in and out, seem odd to me, please advise
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. The sloppy play that is in the gearbox is most likely the cause for the problem here. If you saw no loose linkage for components on the outside of the gearbox I suspect the problem is in the gearbox in this case needing taken apart for inspection and repair.