Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Today I have a question about my 1996 polaris sportsman atv

Customer Question

Hi there, today I have a question about my 1996 polaris sportsman atv witch has recently had a 1998 polaris sportsman 500HO motor installed. But now the quad is running hot and there is a bit of backfireing when I let of of the throttle after. And for some reason the engine recs up a bi when I turn right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curious to no if my current motor requires me to order a new carburetor for that specific year and motor or If I can adjust the carburetor that I have to run smooth with my current 98 500HO
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with to much air entering the engine or not enough fuel as this will cause a lean engine running fault like this here needing repaired to correct this fault.This may be an issue with a lack of fuel to the engine due to a restricted fuel filter possibly or that the carburetor may not be allowing enough fuel into the engine.This will have to be checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.