Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

04 YAMAHA 350 BRUIN-30.2 VOLTS @ IGNITION COIL,BACK

Customer Question

04 YAMAHA 350 BRUIN-30.2 VOLTS @ IGNITION COIL,BACK FIRES,WON'T START,PULLED LH SIDE COVER OFF TO CK. FOR TIMING ALIGNMENT-THAT'S CORRECT-BUT ENGINE KICKS BACK LIKE IT'S OUT OF TIME-WHY WOULD I HAVE -30 VOLTS @ COIL FEED
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call me @ shop(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM CLOSING @ 4PM EST TODAY,BUT HAVE HEARD BACK FROM ANYONE
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please re-try using an analog multi-meter.

Still and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Strongly consider hardwiring a second ground line from the battery's - terminal to the engine, another to the frame/chassis as well as to the black/white wire of the ignition coil.

With the regulator temporarily disconnected and a fully charged battery attempt to start again to check for a pulsating voltage at the orange wire to the ignition coil.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WAITING FOR SIDE COVER GASKET TO REINSTALL ,ALSO FOUND THAT VOLTAGE REGULATOR WAS ZIP TIED HANGING ,COULD THAT CAUSE THE PROBLEM?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

As long as the regulator's black wire is tied to a good ground, then even if just zip tied could not have caused the earlier described symptom. Although a faulty regulator can cause the voltage to be 'a lot higher' than 12V.

Please post back how things turned up with the regulator temporarily disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HEY,WHAT TIME ZONE ARE YOU IN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HEY LOUIE WHEN I UNHOOK RECTIFIER ATV MOTOR RUNS FINE
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

GMT +8

And as earlier posted, "...With the regulator temporarily disconnected...", the above posted result would confirm a faulty regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOUIE ,INSTALLED NEW VOLTAGE REGULATOR ,STILL WILL NOT RUN UNLESS YOU UNHOOK REGULATOR,THIS E-MAIL IS TAKING TO LONG ,PLEASE CALL ME BEFORE 12 NOON EST @(###) ###-####& ASK FOR BOB
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back and update Bob but sorry to hear the lack of developments.

If not the regulator, then the stator would be next suspect in line as it directly influences the regulator. Try disconnecting the three (3) white (or yellow) wires from the stator to the regulator but with the regulator's red & black wires still connected and then attempt to start the Bruin.

Sorry but as I am in another region, phone calls would not be practical. Would perhaps a second opinion/alternate approach from another member be preferred? The question can be re-opened to all others.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Louie, UNPLUGED WHITE WIRES MOTOR RUNS FINE,HOW ABOUT A WIRING DIAGRAM SO I CAN CHECK BOTH ENDS OF WIRES
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please click HERE for the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOUIE ,I UNPLUGED 3 WIRE CONNECTOR COMING OUT OF STATOR WITH REGULATOR PLUGED UP,MOTOR RUNS. WIRING DIAGRAM SHOWS WIRES GOING TO CDI UNIT. I WOULD HATE TO ORDER STATOR UNIT & MAYBE BE CDI BAD,IS THERE ANY CHECKS THAT I COULD DO TO STATOR TO MAKE SURE ? LIKE OHM'S CK.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Bob, the stator has two (2) functions:

• • 3 x white wires - battery charging through regulator;
  • • red, white/red & 2 X white/green - ignition/CDI.

Doubtful if the CDI is bad otherwise the Bruin would still not run if the 3 X white wires are disconnected. The coils necessary for both functions share the same magnetic field of the magneto/flywheel hence if either is suspect, the whole assembly would still have to be replaced.

It would also then be doubtful that the coils for the ignition function would be bad. Please click HERE for the Ω test of the stator / 3 X white wires.