P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 07 softail standard that is giving me diag codes

Customer Question

I have a 07 softail standard that is giving me diag codes 113, 118, 123 and 374 it still starts but not without adding some throttle, If I open the throttle too fast it stutters and backfires. Its also running very rich.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Based on the codes and the symptoms it sounds like you have too high a voltage on the sensor feed wire.

The only time I had a bike do this it was caused by an incorrectly placed aftermarket speedometer wire feeding more than 5 volts onto the red/white sensor power wire. This causes incorrect information to be returned to the ECM. The first place to check this is on the MAP sensor located on top of the intake manifold about half way between the breather and the cylinder.

If it is higher than 5 volts you need to find the short or the incorrect connection. If you've recently added or changed anything I'd start with it.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bike was running great, I pulled into a convenience store shut it off, when I tried to start it back up l almost didn't accomplish it. But when I did get it started the engine light was on and it ran like crap. The only things that are non stock on it are a factory style k&n air filter and slip on exhaust.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

In the case of being completely stock your problem is likely caused by a short circuit or ECM issue.

Check that sensor voltage as described above and, if it is more than 5 volts DC, we'll have to try to determine why.

Keep me posted, thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the bike to Harley dealership and they found the ECM was the problem.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad your were able to get it figured out. Take care, P.J.