Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2008 can am max xt 400 new plug has spark will not start

Customer Question

2008 can am max xt 400 new plug has spark will not start even on starting fluid
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel tank was drained and new gas added also new plug installed will not even try to start even if using starting fluid backfired 1 time pull plug and checked for spark spark appears to be good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been tried):

• • attempt to start again with the throttle wide open and then carefully remove the sparkplug again to check if it gets wet with fuel;
  • • if able, temporarily remove the air box (housing) and cover the throttle body opening with the palm of your hand while attempting to start to determine if there is suction and if your palm would get wet with fuel;
  • • perform a compression test or better yet, a leak-down test.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.