Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

What is the best tool to use to remove shifter shaft oil

Customer Question

What is the best tool to use to remove shifter shaft oil seal? 2010 road glide.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking for a part number for a tool I can purchase.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but rather an auto mechanic, but do own a road glide and had to replace mine before.
Drill 1 or two small holes into the metal part of the old seal, but be careful as do not want to go to deep, just through the seal. The thread a couple of #6 metal screws into the holes and use pliers on the screws to pull the old seal out.
Use tool #620260 to install new seal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the reply. I am not comfortable with drilling holes. This method is recommended in several HD forums and also discouraged due to the high potential for shaft damage.I'm looking for a proper tool I can purchase and remove the seal without drilling holes or damaging the shaft. I don't think the dealers are drilling holes. I'm thinking there must be a special tool and my question is what is the part number so can purchase one and pull the seal in a professional manner.I'm familiar with the drill and screw method and glad it worked for you. I have a photo of a puller that someone fabricated and pulled out a seal with. I already knew this method before I asked the question.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I understand. The only tool I know of is the installer, not a specific removal tool. I went ahead and checked by MAC, MATCO and Snap-on catalogues and cant find a seal removal tool for this one.
I will opt out and hopefully a motorcycle mechanic will come online and soon and be able to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
I have checked all the same catalogs and scoured the internet with out results that's why I posted the question. Thank you for response.
Ted
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the advise you get from forums is from people just like you. they are not professionals and the advise is often bad.

there is no specific tool.

the fastest and easiest way is to drill a small hole and screw a small machine screw into the hole and pull the screw to remove the seal.

if you take it to a shop, that is what they will do.

the only other option is to remove the transmission gear set and pull the shift shaft into the case, the punch the seal out from the inside. I would never do that.

further, I have never seen that seal cause a transmission leak unless there is something else wrong, like the transmission vent blocked or restricted. I would check that first.

the only seal I have seen leak on that transmission is the main drive gear seal, behind the belt pulley.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve