Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 06' sportsman battery is not holding a charge. only 1

Customer Question

my 06' sportsman battery is not holding a charge. only 1 year old. click when turning over. if i pull start it will run..when using the winch it dies
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i charge the battery it will start but after running and working for a while with the winch it dies out. the battery is only a year old
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been tried); inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Further checks on the possibility of a charging issue; under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator concern(s). With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage with/when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • attempting to rev the engine (this is most critical).

Please post back results / observations of the above once done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Issue is worse now. Was riding and it quit and won't start at all. Replaced battery still no go. Checked all cables and dead still. Bringing to local shop tomorrow
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

Consider re-checking the fusible link(s) from one the terminal of the starter solenoid. All other checks would be with the SSCB (solid state circuit breaker).

Please post back how things turned up and/or should additional information be needed.