Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I purchased a 2001 suzuki marauder 800 (vz800). it has

Customer Question

I purchased a 2001 suzuki marauder 800 (vz800). it has aftermarket cobra pipes the pre owner told me that it was jetted but i dont know what size jets. it recently started loosing power and now i cant go above 40mph. will not accelerate and bike bogs down. i see black soot coming out of the back cyl pipe. i pulled the rear spark plug and it was fouled i changed the plugs when i purchased the bike about 4 months ago and the old plugs were ok just aged. i pulled the front plug and it was ok no fouling, so i know my issue is with the back cyl. i replaced the slide diaphragms of both carbs thinking they might be worn. also replaced air filers back filter was clogged. after re assembly the issue was the same no change.i tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture but i am unsure weather the screw meters air or fuel. im not sure if a am leaning or enriching. i tried backing it out 1 1/2 turns and test riding the bike no change. i tried collapsing the screw and no change. before adjusting i counted how many turns it was turned to (1 1/8).
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

If you have not had the exhaust system checked at all this should be done to see if there is a restriction with one or more of the exhaust components.I have seen restricted exhaust components cause this type of fault here before with the affected component needing replaced to correct this fault here.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe the exhaust is clogged. When running I can feel strong air flow out if both pipes. The only thing I notice is the soot out of the pipe to rear cyl. Also has an unburnt fuel smell to it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This may be an over fueling issue here due to a component at fault with the carburetor (if equipped) or a fuel injection component.Unfortunately my info is limited here on this so its difficult to pinpoint the fault from here but the fuel system should be checked to see if a component is found to be at fault needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete