Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1990 Suzuki Katana 1100. The turn signals have

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Suzuki Katana 1100. The turn signals have stopped blinking. The front turn signals stay lit all the time, but won't blink. The rears don't light at all. The bike is all original, has 6,000 miles and has never been modified. I checked the fuses and they are fine. I'm not sure where the relay is located and if it is working.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried, check:

• • or better yet, replace the rear signal light/bulbs;
  • • the green and black wires to the rear turn signals;
  • • the black/white ground wire of both rear turn signal ;
  • • and clean the rear turn signal bulbs' sockets.

Still and in most versions, the signal/flasher relay is mounted under the seat.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie,
Thank you for your response. The bulbs tested perfectly. The sockets look new. The bike has been in a temperature controlled garage since new. The connections look fine. Where next? Would a bad relay cause the fronts to be lit, the backs to not light and nothing blinking? I attached a picture of the bike so you can see the condition.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back and the picture David; nice bike.

No relay on this model can cause the "...fronts to be lit, the backs to not light and nothing blinking..." Although if the back turn signal light is not lit. then expectedly the front would not blink but just be steadily lighted up as the flasher relay would not have sufficient current to "flash".

Bear with me and re-check the harness connections of the rear turn signal lights green and black wires. Similarly, re-check the black/white wires connection to ground. Better yet, consider temporarily hardwiring a ground bypass to the rear's black/white wire from the battery's - terminal or even the chassis/frame.

Post back results / observations of the above once done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie,
Thanks for your response. I'm going out of town for the weekend. I'll check theses things and get back to you next week.
Thanks much,
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand David, and would look forward to an update next week or when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie,
Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Finally got to go over things you recommended. Everything looks good. All connectors are tight and the wires look new. No evidence of wires chewed or moisture in any connectors. I can even hear the relay click when I use the turn signal switch. Any clues on a website that shows competent independent motorcycle techs in my area. The local dealers service department is horrible.
Thanks,
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back and update David but sorry to hear the lack of developments.

Were you able to try the "...temporarily hardwiring a ground bypass to the rear's black/white wire..."?

I am in another region and have no info on independent techs. Would perhaps a second opinion/alternate approach from another member be preferred? The question can be re-opened to all others.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.