RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

My KTM525 always kicks out of 4th and drops back to 3rd is

Customer Question

My KTM525 always kicks out of 4th and drops back to 3rd is the tranz rooted. I figure it is. How much will it cost
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dont call im in oz hit that button by mistake
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

HI and thank you for your question.

I am not familiar with the term "rooted" so I can't comment on that.

What I can comment on is speculation on the damage. It is hurt. Since it is only happening in 1 particular gear, it is an internal problem and not a linkage problem, meaning the cases are going to have to be split to repair it. Similarly I cannot know exactly what it is going to take to fix it, parts wise or cost wise because I don't know how bad the damage is internally. I can give you some information that will give you an idea of what it could cost. The other thing I don't know is how prices compare in Oz to the US.

I took a shot gun approach to estimating the parts pricing and it came out to about $325. There could be some incidentals needed that would add to that, or you could include a new piston and rings at this time since the engine is apart. If you just calculate parts to fix the transmission, you should be under $400 USD with on line pricing. An educated guess on labor to do a transmission repair if you take the entire ATV into the shop would probably be around 8 hrs. Since it is not a warranty repair, the shop can charge whatever they want for labor. Just because flat rate time for a job is a certain # ***** hrs, it does not mean the dealer is forced to charge that. They can charge more or less as they see fit. If you are going to pay someone else to do the job for you, ask them questions about how they calculate labor pricing.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB