Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 95 softtail That was running fine, always on a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 95 softtail That was running fine, always on a trickle charge.now is totally dead when I turn the ignition on. I tried to jump and nothing happens. I pulled off the end of the solenoid and pushed in the plunger, nothing happens. I figured maybe a grounded out wire and have check each wire from starter through loom. I did find my neutral safety switch wire was grounded out. Can't figure if it's starter which is 3 yrs old or the battery which is less than one year.I am also now questioning the stator.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power to the starter from the battery, but no power at the wire from the starter to the relay, when I turn the ignition switch on I get no lights , I checked the pins at each terminal and have power at each except the full on mode, it's wired not to turn the lights on unless switch is turned all the way clockwise.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if I can get you to make a few basic electrical measurements I am confident I can help you solve this problem.

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition off.

- ignition on.

- with the start button depressed.

we can continue then.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve