Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have a 1998 Kawasaki KZ1000P Police Special carbureted. I

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Kawasaki KZ1000P Police Special carbureted. I had the carbs cleaned and synchronized 9 mo. ago and ride it once every 2 weeks or so. It was running great until I tried to ride it this week. It starts fine (some blue smoke on left bank - not normal) and idles ok but when I turn the throttle, no mater how slowly, it quits. I have fresh fuel an checked all vacuum and fuel lines with no obvious leaks or cracks. I have a fresh, clean air filter, new plugs and battery. Now what the - - - - is wrong! If I pay for your service will you stay with me through its fix? Can we talk on phone, I hate to type!
Larry
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Larry

this sounds like a lack of fuel to me

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the carbs and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You clearly do not know this particular engine and carb system. It has no fuel pump, it uses engine vacuum to flow fuel through the filter/petcock. I need someone who knows these engines and fuel systems first hand. Please refund my funds.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough my information is obviously incorrect

I'll opt out and get another expert involved

good luck