yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal
30179223

I have a 2010 sportsman 500. I can't get any of my head

Customer Question

I have a 2010 sportsman 500. I can't get any of my head lights to work. I have un plugged the wireing harness to the left hand switch and can get the light to work if I jump power to the e pole on the on the input side of the swich. only problem is there is no wire in the harness to supply power to that pole
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  yamsuzpolaris replied 1 year ago.

power to the headlight switch is provided by the red/yellow stripe wire which carries 12 volts. all the red/yellow wires in the harness are spliced together. you should have 12 volts on this wire where the connector plugs into the switch housing. if you dont have power on this wire then check the fuse block. if you don have power thru the fuse and then onto the headlight switch housing connection, then check for voltage on either the yellow or green wires. dark green is the bumper lights, yellow is the headlight pod light. if you have voltage going in the switch but not coming out then the switch is bad. you can also test this with a paper clip as a jumper. jump from the red/yellow wire is it has voltage and then jump over to the dark green or the yellow wires. with ignition switch on and kill switch in the run position the headlights should light. if not, and voltage is confirmed, then the brown wires that run to all the lights are a ground and you don't have a good ground on these brown wires.

Mark