RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I just put a factory new carb on my 2003 Polaris 500 ho. It

Customer Question

I just put a factory new carb on my 2003 Polaris 500 ho. It started right up, but it idles about 2 grand. The adjustment knob does very little. Any idea?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is usually caused by a vacuum leak, most commonly the rubber boot connecting the carb to the head. They are prone to cracking. You can check it by apraying some carb cleaner onn the boot while the enigne is running. If the speed changes the boot needs to be replaced.

If this does not solve the problem, just reply back and we can work further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have boot. I fixed it by adjusting the cable 4" down from throttle. It seems to be fine. Do you know Polaris atv's ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My biggest concern is choke adjustment if there is one. It'a Fuji Industrial engine I think
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

HI and thank you for your question.

I have 2 ideas right off the bat.

First, check your throttle cable free play. Make sure the thumb trigger moves without lifting the butterfly. By screwing the adjuster in it will add free play. You should have about 3/16" free play in the thumb throttle before the butterfly moves.

My next idea is you have an air leak. To check for that, start the engine and let it idle as low as possible, then spray contact cleaner or starter fluid around the intake manifold where the carb installs and where it attaches to the cylinder head.

Those would be the 2 most likely culprits. Check them out and let me know if you need more help.

Thanks

RSRBOB