Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2008 yamaha 350 4x4 atv ; I turn the key on and no

Customer Question

I have a 2008 yamaha 350 4x4 atv ; I turn the key on and no lites come on and the push button starter will not engage the starter. With the key on if I pull the pull cord the lites come on and it will start : if it stalls the lites stay on and the push
button starter will work and it turns over just fine is it the ignition switch itself or what
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a motorcycle it's atv 4 wheeler and have not heard back as yet?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).

Additionally, check the main fuses co-located with the starter relay (in most versions). To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay.

All other checks would require the use of a volt/multi-meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My initial thought was the battery so I charged and cleaned connections made no difference. If you pull the pull cord the lites come on and it turns over no problem. If it stalls during warm up the lites stay on and it will turn over no problem. As long as the key is on and the neutral lites etc. are on it turns over and starts no problem. It"s just when you turn the key on there is no lites and the push button starter does not work. It operates normally once the pull cord is used to start it. Once you turn the key off and turn it back on nothing. Use the pull cord and everything works fine. That would eliminate battery , starter, relay etc.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Bear with us and with a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
machine is at cottage will be going there this weekend and will check battery voltages and get back to you asap
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back and would look forward to an update on the voltage readings when able.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the voltage readings; ign. off 12.56; ign. on 12.56; start with pull cord 13.82; offidle13.95.I did a second test starting with the ignition button ign. off 12.70; key on 12.70; start with button 10.8; off idle 13.65
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The voltage readings appear to be as expected.

Bear with me on this; hardwire another ground line from the battery's - terminal to the engine and likewise to the frame/chassis

Please post back results / observations of the above once done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again machine is at cottage will be there this weekend and I will try a jumper wire from negative terminal to the engine and frame chassis. Are voltage readings required and are two seperate lines needed one to engine and chassis or try one at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the voltage readings normal?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; 2 ground lines from the battery's - terminal. 1 to the engine and another to the frame.

And the voltages appears to be normal.

Would look forward to an update when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay ground wires made no difference
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear the lack of development(s).

Please check for the presence and consistency of the voltages at the:

• • smaller red wire from the starter relay to the main switch;
  • • brown/blue wire with the main switch turned on;
  • • brown, red/yellow, red/white & brown/red wires after the fuses;
  • • red/black wire after the engine stop switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do I'll get back after I check, am I looking for battery voltage at all
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes, +12V at these wires.

Was just thinking; the ground was hardwired to the engine and chassis, might as well hardwire another to the black wires of the harness itself also.

And an update when conveniently able.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been on vacation will get back to you when I check
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand and no prob when able.