P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I'm checking ohms on my pick up coils on 1973 Harley amf tx

Customer Question

I'm checking ohms on my pick up coils on 1973 Harley amf tx 125 my multi meter reads a few seconds then settles to 0 the spec should be 4 ohms does this mean that if it does not settle on 4 ohms and settles o that the coil is bad
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

It seems like an issue with your meter. Coil resistance should be a stable number whether good or bad. When checking resistance it requires a good battery in the meter in order to send a current through the coil's windings. If the meter battery is weak it can't sustain the necessary amperage to overcome the coil resistance. I'd try changing that battery to a fresh one.