Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Mechanic
Experience:  15+ Yrs Factory certified technician and business owner.
8380480

My 1996 Honda Shadow VT1100 was stored with a full tank with

Customer Question

My 1996 Honda Shadow VT1100 was stored with a full tank with stabilizer for several years. Now it starts and runs well but no longer is as fast as it was before storage. I've had the Carbs cleaned and still max speed is low, about 75 MPH and before with my wife and me riding together over 100 on the speedo. What is causing the slow down?
I see your answer with great interest!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The first thing that I would look into is a compression test.

Sitting that long will sometimes cause the rings to stick in the grooves on the piston. If that happened you'll have low compression which means lower horsepower.

You could pour a little marvel mystery oil or atf fluid in the spark plug holes and let it set for a day or two to see if they come loose and the compression comes up.

That's if it's low.
There's not really anything other than the carbs that could cause a lack of power and since you've had them cleaned I'd say the compression being low would be about the only thing left as long as it's running on both cylinders with no misses.