Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I'm having potential problems with my Harley Davidson 2010

Customer Question

Hello, I'm having potential problems with my Harley Davidson 2010 flhx. Yesterday I was late for an engagement and I pushed my bike very hard In to a 35 mph head wind... I was consistently going 85 to 100 miles an hour and I often had to take the bike out of 6th to maintain adequate rpms and speed. Shortly before I arrived at my destination I noticed excessive vibration at idle and it sounded different at all load/rpms. When I arrived I noticed a significant amount of oil had come from the air cleaner and pooled between tha tappet blocks. So the oil, the excessive vibration at Idle and different sound are all the symptoms I have. The motor is a 96 that I had my buddy at the dealer put some work in to. I think he put something like a stage three kit in it but not necessarily a Harley upgrade kit, just top end parts that he knew worked well together and made a lot of power. Although although my bike was never Dyno tuned, he had done a few identical bikes that ended up showing 112 hp. I broke the bike in correctly but I have pounded on it ever since and it now has 12,000
Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

- it's not abnormal to get some oil out of the breather during a hard run.

- sounding different.....could mean something or nothing. check your mufflers for any loss of packing or loose connections.

- the vibration is almost certainly a flywheel slipped on the crank pin, unless something is loose on your power train. it is a common problem with the new pressed cranks. that is why it is imperative the flywheels be welded to the crank pin before any performance modification are installed. to determine if this is or is not the issue, you will need to remove the cam support plate and measure the run-out on the pinion shaft. it should be nearly zero (0.000") but run out up to a few thou. is acceptable. the more runout, the more vibration. if left uncorrected it will destroy the oil pump.

- one other common issue with the twin cam engines is the oil pump alignment. this needs to be redone periodically as a matter of basic maintenance. you will have to perform the pump alignment procedure when you re-install the cam support plate.

- if it were my bike....I would perform the pump alignment first. if that didn't correct the vibration, I'd check the pinion shaft run-out.

- this assumes, however, that everything in the power train is properly torqued and nothing is loose, including exhaust system parts.

that is why it is important to go over the entire bike before starting into the engine.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve