P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I was starting my bike and to release the starter button.

Customer Question

I was starting my bike and for got to release the starter button. Turned off and now have no electric, but battery charger on and get clicks. Light on speedo flashing but no start. What did I mess up?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Probably the starter, maybe the battery as well. Starters don't like to be turned backward and your probably did.

The first test is a load test on the battery. An auto parts store or bike shop can test it for you to verify it is good. Also, verify the cables are clean and tight.

The clicks are likely the solenoid receiving power and trying to pull in to send power to the starter motor. You can test this if you have a meter. You are looking for power leaving the solenoid on the large diameter short lead going to the starter motor. If you have power here when you press the start button and the starter doesn't turn then the starter motor is bad and will need repaired or replaced.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.