RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

My r1 start stalling out on me when I would be coming down

Customer Question

My r1 start stalling out on me when I would be coming down from a high ideal then it started acting like the battery was going dead and didn't have enough jucie to start I bought a new battery it still won't start
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

If a new battery did not last very long, it sounds like your bike is not charging it.

The first thing you need to do is confirm that. Connect a volt meter across the battery, start the engine, observe the volts at an idle, then rev the engine to 4000 rpm and see if the volts rise. It should charge somewhere around 13.5~14.5 DCV.

If you are not getting that voltage in to the battery, we will need to check the stator and the regulator.

Start out by checking the stator. Find the rectifier regulator under the tank. It is the electrical component that is aluminum with cooling fins on it and 2 harness leads connected to it. Disconnect the lead that has the 3 white wires in it. Set your ohm meter on Rx1 and check all 3 white wires to each other (3 tests). They should have 0.14~0.18 ohms resistance between each of the 3 possible combinations. With such small resistance values make sure you cross your meter leads and record the internal resistance of your meter and subtract that value from the test results you get when checking the stator coils.

From there, the only component left is the rectifier regulator. The service manual uses a process of elimination to get to the point of indicating replacement of the rectifier. If you have a good battery, the stator passes the resistance tests, then it says replace the rectifier.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y would it be stalling be stalling when I rev the rpm up
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

You said it was acting like the battery was going dead. The ignition on your bike is battery powered. If the battery dies, so does the bike. Is the battery going dead or not?

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery was not dead I took it out did not charge it I put it in my wifes bike wich is a o6 yamaha and it started it right up I bought a bran new battery put it my08 when you turn on the key all lights come on and you can here it go through the cycle then when you hit the start button it acts like it don't have enough power to turn the starter thank maybe start im not sure
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I definitely misunderstood what you first said.

Now it sounds like you have a mechanical problem.

My first suggestion would be to remove the spark plugs and see how it turns over with the plugs removed. If it is still hesitant to turn over, then I suspect the engine is hurt. At this point, I do not suspect its a starter problem because that would not cause it to stall out when coming down from a high idle. I am also curious if it made any unusual noises at any point or if it does now.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it started stalling out I still rode it four about a week as long as I did rev it up it wouldn't die while riding it made a pop sound I thought it back fired. but it didn't die I took my bike to rainbow yamaha they hooked it up to there machine cause they thought my two brothers jucie box was bad they said everything was all right they said it was the kill switch that was making it die at a high ideal so fixed the kill switch and road it and it still died at a high ideal .so that bring me to where I am not whe I try to turn it over it acts like it don't have enough power to turn over and today I could smell like a burt plastic smell should I see if it will push start before I pull the plugs
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

I would not bother trying to push start it. It really sounds like something is binding internally and you could be risking further damage by attempting to make it run. Lets see what happens with the plugs out first. The burnt plastic smell could be wires melting, possibly from drawing so many amps trying to crank the damaged engine.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I will get the plugs pulled today and see what it dose when I turn it over and get back with you
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Perfect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I got the spark plugs out hook the battery back up turn the key the starter turned twice s and now all I am getting is a clicking sound when I hit the start button
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

We need to put a volt meter across the battery terminals and read what the battery voltage is while you are trying to crank the bike. This is called a volt drop test. (seeing what the voltage drops to while under load)

Let me know what you get.

BTW, what brand of battery did you buy when you replaced it? And did the seller fill it and charge it for you or did you have to fill it?

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the starter off and tested it it is bad I took the plug on the crank case and turned the bolt that turns the motor it is fine I'm getting a starter rebuild kit there was a broken peace in side the starter could this be y it was stalling
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Doubtful, but anything is possible.

This gets back to my other comment, the problem that takes out starters is the starter clutch seizes and spins the starter motor at engine speeds and that causes the starter motor to fail because it can't take the RPM's.

At this point, put a good starter in it and see how it runs.

RSRBOB