RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a 1985 kx125 and if i dont satrt it while (weeks)

Customer Question

hey i have a 1985 kx125 and if i dont satrt it for a while (weeks) then it will start up fine with no problems at all. But then when i ride it, it rides fine for maybe 3-5 minutes but then boogs out and dies
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Based on the symptoms you described, I suggest you check the compression on the engine. We want to make sure it is sound before moving forward.

I am curious how long it has to sit after it quits on you until it will start again. When it quits are you done for the day? If it sits for awhile, 15 mins, 30 mins. an hour will it restart or not?

The next thing I would check is see if you are losing spark. When the bike quits, have a NEW, not used, NEW spark plug in your pocket, and pull the spark plug cap and put the NEW spark plug in the cap and lay it on the head. Kick the engine over and see if you still have spark or not. If we don't have spark, we can go through troubleshooting the ignition system.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
RSRBOB