Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Have a 2004 ( I think ) Ranger 500. It will run 100 to 1000

Customer Question

Have a 2004 ( I think ) Ranger 500. It will run 100 to 1000 yards and just shuts off. I have to jump it to start back up. Took battery out and was going to have it checked today. Had a Mechanic look at it yesterday and he said it had 10.5 volts and thought it was okay so I was going to charge it. He mentioned a part that charges the battery and said that could also be the problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Still, proposed further checks (if have not been done) on the possibility of over/under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator issue. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine.