Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 2007 Ultra. Just changed the battery & it keeps

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ultra. Just changed the battery & it keeps going under 12 volts at lower rpms. The engine & battery light keep coming on. Would it be he voltage regulator or the stator?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

it could be either or both of those.

the way I address these problems is to check if the stator is grounded. if it checks good, I replace the regulator and retest the charging system. if it checks bad, I replace the stator and then retest the charging system. if the problem persists, I replace the regulator and retest.

- to test the stator, with the engine off, disconnect the regulator from the stator and measure the resistance of each stator plug pin to ground. use the engine as ground. use the highest ohm scale on your meter.

- the only acceptable resistance reading is "infinity" (this is what your ohm meter reads when you turn it on with no test leads installed......it may read OL) if you get ANY reading other than infinity, it means the stator is grounded and must be replaced.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve