Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I just tried to start my 2014 Ducati Panigale 899 which has

Customer Question

I just tried to start my 2014 Ducati Panigale 899 which has been kept on a Ducati battery charger/maintainer. Once I turned the key on, the instrument panel started flashing and I heard a continuous clicking noise. The engine would not turn over. What is the problem? The bike only has 565 miles on it and has been continuously garaged. Thanks.
Derrick
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and if have not been tried start with the basics/a review; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).
Additionally, check the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:
• if no starter action, then starter motor highly suspect;
• if starter would clack loudly, then a possible internal problem;
• if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
• if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring/interlocks issue.