Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have an Italiajet Velocfiero year 2000, bought used in

Customer Question

I have an Italiajet Velocfiero year 2000, bought used in 2009 with only 300 miles on it. Have driven it every summer since about 300 miles a year. Just this summer, the ignition fuse keeps blowing. I replace it with a 7.5 and it blows again within a few days. When blown, oil light comes on frequently and horn sounds feeble. What is the problem and what is the fix? Thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).
Still, proposed secondary checks (also if have not been done) on the possibility of over-voltage/under-voltage. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:
• ignition OFF and then when ON;
• when starting the engine;
• engine at idle;
• when attempting to rev the engine.
The above/latter is to check for an under/over voltage condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will take some time to get done, and I am going out of town for a week, so it will be longer than that to see if this is the problem. What I don't understand is why there would be a voltage problem with the battery now. It is relatively new and has been charged with an external battery charger at the beginning of the summer. Again, this problem just seemed to come out of the blue. It worked fine the first several weeks of the summer.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the post back.
The above would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination. Electrical faults can and do occur unexpectedly.
Appreciate the post back and an update when able.