Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I have a Yamaha yz250 F dirt bike, my son changed the oil

Customer Question

i have a Yamaha yz250 F dirt bike, my son changed the oil and put the oil filter in the wrong direction can this harm anything?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is my answer?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

If the filter is open on both ends then it probably just wasn't doing it's job of filtering the oil. The oil normally comes in through the outside paper of the filter and then proceeds into the engine through the small oil filter hole. The oil would still pump but would be leaking around the filter. The engine still gets oil under pressure but without any filtering. As long as the end of the filter going inward was open it would get oil if not then there could be problems.

-----