RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO REPLACE A KEY CYLINDER ON A 2008 ST

Customer Question

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO REPLACE A KEY CYLINDER ON A 2008 ST 1300?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If your key is inserting into the cylinder but isn't turning examine the key itself and see if it is severely worn.If it is then the key needs replaced to correct this fault and is one of the most common causes.If this is all o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bike is not old in mileage(20K). I have two keys, both do not work. No previous problems with turning key. If the lock needs to be replaced,what are the removal steps.
George
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,unfortunately I don't have the info on the removal of this myself on this model here.I will open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

First, I am curious if you carry a lot of keys on your motorcycle key ring. That can cause problems, as in premature wear and failure, of key cylinders. Some other makes and models are susceptible to this as well. You may have already tried this but sometimes you can wiggle the key forward and back as you apply the twisting motion and get it to turn.

Was the bike sitting for awhile or is this a case where it was working fine than the next time you went to ride it, you could not turn the key?

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have jiggled,wiggled, lubed, and performed ancient Indian dances around the Honda; and nothing worked. MAY I PLEASE have an answer to my initial question on how to extract the cylinder from the bike!!!!!
G