Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

PJ. i ride a '08 road. my starter went out. i turn the bike

Customer Question

hi PJ. i ride a '08 road king. my starter went out. i turn the bike on and the pre start powers up but when i flip the start button nothing happens. the lights don't dim. just nothing happens. suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the most common problem is a failed battery in the FOB.

replace the FOB battery and let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced the battery in the FOB. still nothing when the start switch is pressed.
turn the bike on and the lights go on and the prestart whin goes, but when the starter button is pressed nothing. the headlight don't even dim.
any other suggestions?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

check for 12v on the black/red wire at the starter relay socket.

ensure you have a hard ground on the TN/GN wire at the starter relay socket.

the starter relay is in the fuse block on the left side of the bike.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the wires and all seem to have good connections. do i have to remove the fuse box to check the connections behind the fuse box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will call you after you tell me whether or not to remove the fuse box panel.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

you don't need to remove the panel.

just remove the starter relay from the socket and check that the terminal with the black/red wire has 12v when the start button is depressed and the terminal with the tan/gn wire has a hard ground.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have to go get a 12v tester. all i have is a household socket tester.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the tester and removed the starter relay. turned the bike to on and the top right socket right lights up. pressed the starter button and then the bottom right socket lights up. is my problem a bad relay?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

terminal 86 should have 12v only when the start button is depressed.

terminal 85 should have a ground.

terminal 30 should have battery voltage all the time.

terminal 87 should have battery voltage only with the relay installed and after the relay is energized (via terminals 86 and 85)

if I had to guess, I would say you have no ground on terminal 85.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if there is no ground to terminal 85, how do i rectify it?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the ground on terminal 85 is provided by the ECM.

what is supposed to happen is, when the security system is armed, it removes the ground from terminal 85 and when the security system is disarmed it puts a hard round on terminal 85.

- if you have no ground, it is caused by one of the following:

- security system armed.

- ECM failed.

- ECM and/or TSM replaced and not initialized (password ***** routine).

- bike battery died or was disconnected at some point causing a loss of power to the ECM and/or TSM and modules not initialized.

do any of those sound like something you have experienced recently, before this issue started?

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
redid the pass code and still nothing.
when the bike originally would not start, was able to push start it with no problem (other than getting help to push a heavy bike).
looks like i am going to have to get the bike towed in and looked at. unless you can suggest anything else i can do to test the lines or any parts that may be malfunctioning. thanks for you help.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

try the password ***** routine.

you should hook up a battery charger to keep the battery from dying during the procedure.
1 Set Run switch to Run

2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle
the Left Turn Signal switch twice.

3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate
briefly and then turn off Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security
(TSM) Twin Cam models.

4 Attempt normal start one time. Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine
lamp stays on. Password ***** not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel
flow.

5 Wait 10 seconds Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. ECM enters Password ***** mode for 10 minutes.
Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

6 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.

7 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

8 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password ***** mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the
ignition or disrupt power.

9 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

10 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password ***** mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

11 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

12 Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password ***** Procedure is successful. Engine will start and remain running
If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the Password ***** mode was not successful. Start over at step 1.

if this doesn't work, you will need dealership assistance.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting dealership assistance. will let you know what the problem is.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve