Wayne-Mc
Wayne-Mc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  31 Years experience with Harley-Davidson motorcycles, licensed Motorcycle Mechanic, Shop Owner
22029889

Have a 05 road with fuel injection. turn the knob like

Customer Question

Hi
have a 05 road king with fuel injection. turn the knob like always & wait for light to come on to show the fuel is ready but when i hit the start button the light goes out and nothing happens. no clicks or anything
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i switched out the starter relay and no change.
Expert:  Wayne-Mc replied 1 year ago.
What is the condition of your battery? A defective battery may turn on the lights on the dash but not have enough cranking power to activate the starter. Please check the battery condition and get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery was replaced last yr. i tried to jump it but same result. you can hear the fuel pump do its thing like normal but when i hit the start button the lights dim slightly and absolutely nothing else happens.
Expert:  Wayne-Mc replied 1 year ago.
Did this condition just start or has it been hard starting for a while?
If you tried to boost the bike with a secondary battery and you are getting the same results I suspect the starter solenoid circuit is corroded and is not transfering power to the starter itself.
Check to make sure you have at least 12 volts going to the copper starter terminal first by using a voltmeter. You should have 12 volts here.
Next remove the green wire from the starter on the exhaust side of the bike. Put your voltmeter on this wire , turn on the ignition and check to make sure you have at least 12 volts here.
Check this and get back to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got 11.9 volts. it does make 1 small click when i hit the start button but thats it
Expert:  Wayne-Mc replied 1 year ago.
IF you have a battery charger please charge the battery. You should have more than 11.9 volts on a good battery with a properly operating charging system.
After charging you should have about 13.3 - 13.6 volts on a good battery.
Do this and get back to me when the battery is fully charged.
I can wait