RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Riding dwn the road, it started to rough idle n backfire

Customer Question

Riding dwn the road, it started to rough idle n backfire like running out of gas. So I turned it to RES though maybe I was low, not the issue. Now I can start the bike and it runs fine at idle, gv it a lil gas and dies, now I turn full choke and give a lil gas and I can limp her home. Only did it for a block. Changed plugs(NKG) didn't change anything. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugs look to have normal burn. Plugs weren't wet.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the carbs have debris in them. The slow jet sounds plugged up. I suggest pulling the float bowls off and checking the slow jets for restrictions and blowing them out.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the in-line fuel filter doesn't catch everything. Probably for the larger debris.
I'll check that tomorrow and let ya know. Thanks.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily. It could be water in the fuel too but removing the float bowls will drain them and take care of that. You can drain some fuel out of the tank to check for water too. It will look like an air bubble sitting on the bottom.

RSRBOB