Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I took my battery out of my 74 harley put it back in and had

Customer Question

i took my battery out of my 74 harley put it back in and had exposed wires on the Positive side of battery hooked up The neg side of battery and had small flair up when i straighten Everything out i have no powet to start bike. Unknown if i blew a circuit breaker or where to look for problem
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

you should have 4 circuit breakers on that bike. Main, lights, accessory and ignition. They are near the battery but the seat or battery may have to come off to access them. The main breaker should be down from the positive battery terminal. If all power is off then the main is the one to check. If that is okay you may be losing power somewhere else like the ignition switch power to the other circuit breakers. You will need a multimeter to check for battery voltage on the breakers and switch.

The breakers should switch back on unless they are faulty or you have a persistent short in the wires.

---

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the four circuit breakers and they all have continuity, they appear to be good. Are you talking about the ignition switch on the handle bar, I can't see that killing all the power to the bike. I don't mind paying for information, however I expect to have results. Could I have brunt out the stator or the regulator.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

Your circuit breakers should get power from the ignition switch.

I would check for power to the key switch and through the key switch to the circuit breakers. If the positive side of the circuits seems

good then check the grounds on the battery and frame.

Regulator could be disconnected while testing for power

in case of problems there. the stator should not interfere with the main power circuits.

----