Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2006 polaris sportsman 450 has no power when you turn the

Customer Question

2006 polaris sportsman 450 has no power when you turn the key. was clicking then nothing battery is reading 11.5. replaced solenoid. still no go. no light on display.
cant find any fuses? checked wiring for obvious damage no issues.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome back to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).
Of particular interest would be the fusible links something like the part shown in the link below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-Polaris-Kit-Fusible-Link-SOLD-INDIVIDUALLY-MPN-2202147-/191579187443?hash=item2c9b0268f3&vxp=mtr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned Cables, ground. Battery is almost full charge. What's next? Would a bad starter prevent power from reaching the display?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
No, the display has to be powered even before the starter can be engaged.
If the ground cables have been checked and confirmed to be good, then check/trace the voltage flow from:
• battery + terminal;
• big red wire to starter solenoid;
• gray fusible link;
• bullet connector to red wire;
• red wire to 16-P connector;
• connector to SSCB-1;
• red/yellow wire from SSCB-1;
• red/yellow wire to engine OFF/RUN switch;
• red/black wire from engine OFF/RUN switch to ignition switch.
Actual wire colors may vary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beyond my expertise... That's anyway
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
How was the "...battery is reading 11.5..." done please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I charged the battery to 12.5 volts still no power. I cleaned the ground wires to the frame... All good. Checked the starter and it was in pretty bad shape so I replaced it... Before I put it on I removed the pull cord cover and cleaned up the bendex as well. Still no power.
I am questioning wether I have wired the new solinoid correctly. Can you provide me with which wire goes on which post of the solinoid?
From here I'm lost... I have searched everywhere for fuses but can't locate any?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Please provide clear closeup pictures of the starter solenoid, its wires and to where connected. See the link below.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
This is the only way for me to see what you are seeing; a common reference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
One terminal of the starter relay has 2 lugs connected to it. Please confirm; 1 goes to the starter motor? ...and the other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one goes to the starting motor the other I believe if winch
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Pleas try removing the 'winch' connector ONLY from its current terminal and then join it together with the terminal where the battery cable is connected.
Simply transfer it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had done that before. Are there any fuses on a 2006 459 sportsman Polaris?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
To my recollection, other than the earlier described fusible link, no other "fuse(s)" on this model. Instead, it has an electronic circuit breaker of sorts, the SSCB-1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is this located, can it be tested?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The SSCB or control module would have a Part Number of something like (###) ###-####and would look similar to the product shown at the link below.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/polaris/PP-4011517.html
On "...Can it be tested...", please try the earlier posted check/trace the voltage flow from:
• battery + terminal;
• big red wire to starter solenoid;
• gray fusible link;
• bullet connector to red wire;
• red wire to 16-P connector;
• connector to SSCB-1;
• red/yellow wire from SSCB-1;
Actual wire colors may vary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I will try these tonight and let you know. I checked the power from the battery to the winch and its ok but doesn't work.red wire to 16-P connector; is that the one behind the battery?if I understand the last answer.... am I checking to see if there is power from the battery to all these items you listed?• red/black wire from engine OFF/RUN switch to ignition switch.?? which wire on ignition switch?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no and to my understanding, the 16-P connector would be on the SSCB/PDM located inside the front grill cover.
The SSCB or control module or more commonly called the Power Distribution Module (PDM) for 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 would look like the product shown at the link below.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/300963945357-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
And this is critical, there appears to be a RECALL on the 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 among others due to an electrical issue particularly the PDM and including the ECM. Please see the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92079112/Polaris%20Recall%20Sportsman%2004%2005%2006.pdf