Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Have a l989 Harley 838 Sportster Deluxe. While riding it, I

Customer Question

Have a l989 Harley 838 Sportster Deluxe. While riding it, I heard a metally sound from engine. Sound stops and go away and come back . Scared it will break down. What could be wrong possibly and what estimated will it cost to repair.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone nr is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

tell me when you hear the noise?

- engine cold?

- at idle?

- engine hot?

- only when under throttle?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I have been waiting and pd the $5.00 and as I had to go on a open road ride, took it for a ride and the noise was gone. It did cut out a few times, but we then seeviced it and took the gastank off. My my - inside of the gastankthe rustcoating was starting to peel off and must have been causing a blockage. Shaked it up with water in and put tank back on. Took carb off and air out and now she is good as can go and have not been hearing no noices since. Thanking you for the come back, but will use the service again if I need to in the future. Anita
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay, I was in Sturgis.

rust in the gas tank is NOT a "metal sound from engine".

in the future, please try to be more specific.

glad you found the rust and are riding again.

let me know if you have other quesstions.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apology, son took buke out and incident happened to him - sound gone for now. - but will holler when I need help again. 😔 😜
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
glad I could help.
let me know if you have other questions.
Steve