Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Im looking at buying a 1999 Monster 750 Dark with 6000 miles

Customer Question

Hi, Im looking at buying a 1999 Monster 750 Dark with 6000 miles and garage kept. Its in amazing shape overall though has an issue Im not familiar with being new to Ducatis. It starts though stalls with throttle. the neutral gear is impossible to find. since these issues keep me from running or riding the bike i cant know anything than the word of the owner which is that the bike sat since 2007 and was only in need of a carb rebuild. It seems he installed a reverse shifter and reinstalling the factory with a good clutch bleed will solve the neutral issue but Im concerned there could be more than a carb issue or such. It did run through the gears when off and didnt appear to have any major defects i could see. What do think of the stalling/starting issue and any other possible issues that may be present? Your input and expertise would be extremely valuable as Im spending all I have to make this bike into my everyday rider and pride if I do decide to buy it. Thanks Matt
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
I would have the fuel system checked for any damage to fuel lines or components needing replaced.If an issue is found it will need to be repaired to correct this here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter and etc was checked and changed. The bike starts up no issue only stalls at idle or with throttle shortly after. That's why thoughts were towards the carburetor.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This is possible the carb. is the issue here causing a lack of fuel or to much air into the engine.The carb. would have to be checked/tested to be sure though and repaired if an issue is found.
Thanks Pete