Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 that refuses to start

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 that refuses to start when the engine gets hot. It will turn over once or twice, weakly, and then stop. It acts like it has a weak battery, but let it sit and cool off and it fires right up. I've replaced the following:
battery, sprag clutch, stator coil, voltage regulator/rectifier, starter, ground cables, air filter, but it STILL happens. Could it possibly be the solenoid, some switch/relay, or something to do with the fuel/air intake? I just can't figure this out, please
help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, check the starter solenoid. To locate the starter solenoid, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter solenoid to enable the starter motor to spin:
• if no starter action, then starter motor issue;
• if starter would clack loudly, then an internal issue;
• if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
• if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter solenoid and/or its wiring fault.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Louie, I did jump the solenoid and same thing, slow starter. But I've already replaced the starter, battery, etc (see the list above) and the cables. Again, it only happens when the bike is hot.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the post back.
The above results then may possibly point to an internal engine issue. Can you please try having a compression check both when cold and when hot? (carefully)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, will do. That'll take me a little time as I have to get a compression tester and probably pull the tank to get to the spark plugs.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Would look forward to an update when able your end.
Thanks.